descargar 91.03 Kb.
Zulai Marcela Fuentes
Date and place of birth: 16 Jan, 1952 in Mexico City
Civil status: Divorced, with two sons, Angel R. Tapia F. (16) and Pedro E. Tapia F. (10)
Permanent and present address: Cádiz Norte 32. Insurgentes Extremadura, Delegación Benito Juárez. CP 03740, México, D.F. 5563-1337 / 56157620
E-mail: email@example.com and/or firstname.lastname@example.org
Native tongue: Spanish (above average); English (as second language; however, with native English written and spoken skills); French (as third language: good knowledge).
Main aptitude: linguistic.
Major talents: writing (poetry, journalism, fiction and non-fiction);editorial; translation.
Other skills: language teaching experience; lecturer; public relations.
Public relations aptitude
1980-91 (4 semesters)
Sociedad General de Escritores de México
Diploma course in creative writing
Graduated in 1991
Diploma and transcripts available
08/1985 to 12/1987 (5 semesters)
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México. Facultad de Filosofía y Letras
Hispanic literature and language (B.A. program)
(9.6 average of 10)
1980-1 (One semester)
El Colegio de México
Programa para la Formación de Traductores
(Translators training course)
American Council on Education. General Education Development Testing
Service, Washington DC (GED)
High School Equivalency
Revalidated as Secundaria y Bachillerato en Ciencias Sociales
y Humanidades by Mexican Secretariat of Education (SEP) in 1981 and by
UNAM in 1985.
Official Report available
Secretaría de Educación Pública. Sistema Nacional de Educación para
Secundaria Abierta (secondary adult education)
Preparatoria Abierta (college preparatory adult education)
University of the Americas. Campus in Cholula, Puebla, Mexico
School of Arts & Sciences (7 quarters)
B.A. in Anthropology
Departamento de Turismo. Escuela para Guías de Turismo (2 semesters)
Graduated and obtained federal license to work as official guide (in English, French, and Spanish)
Certificate and diploma available
The Pan American Workshop (private international institution)
Commercial high school
Graduated as Bilingual Secretary (English-Spanish)
Elementary school certificate
CREDENTIALS AND CERTIFICATIONS IN ENGLISH AND FRENCH
United Nations, Secretariat Language Training Programme, New York
Language Proficiency Certificate
University of Cambridge. Local Examinations Syndicate
Certificate of Proficiency in English
Endorsement to CPE: Translation from and into English grade A: Very Good
Methodology for Structural Situational Teaching
Fondation Centres Européens Langues et Civilisations, Zurich
Certificat d'études pratiques de langue Française
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES AND ACTIVITIES IN PUBLIC AFFAIRS
Sociedad General de Escritores de México (General writers’ guild)
Will try membership at International Translators Association soon
Public readings and book presentations in public and private institutions: Instituto Nacional de Bellas Artes, Aula Magna, Facultad de Filosofía y Letras, UNAM, Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana, Universidad Iberoamericana, Casa Lamm, Casa del Poeta, Librería Octavio Paz, FCE, Librería Jaime García Terrés, UNAM, Museo Mural Diego Rivera, INBA, Casa de Tabasco, Casa de la Cultura Fedrico Reyes Heroles, Casa Universitaria del Libro, UNAM, biblioteca central, salón de actos, aula magna, Universidad de Yucatán, state universities throughout México; trendy Mexico City bars like El Hijo del Cuervo, Bar Las Hormigas. (1991 to date). Photographs and programs available.
Contributions (translations, general and literary; feature articles; fiction, poetry, music, film, book reviews, interviews) in local cultural sections of Mexican journals (Excélsior, El Día, Unomásuno, el Financiero, Diario de Yucatán, La Gaceta del Fondo de Cultura Económica, Órbita, Letras Libres Interactivas, Revista Electrónica de Literatura Mexicana (RELIM), Planos de Escritura, El Cocodrilo Poeta).(1990 to date). Available clippings.
LITERARY WORK. Published and unpublished material:
RECENT PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE (includes last seven years of employment; twenty years as freelance)
August to December 2004
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
Dirección General de Publicaciones y Fomento Editorial
Promotion and Diffusion Department
Full time In-house Representative
Panel moderador (for Cultural Magazines from Spain and Mexico Meeting)
Coordinator of events (local book fairs)
Drafting of promotional documents and activity reports
Sept. 2002 to date
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
Dirección General de Publicaciones y Fomento Editorial
External editor and translator
In charge of Spanish edition of William Shakespeare’s Sonnets
Translating for essay collection in Spanish versions from Henry Miller, Alexander Solyenitzin, Teillhard de Chardin.
October 2001 to date
Fondo de Cultura Económica (Major publishing house in Latin America)
External reader and translator (see pages 8 and 9 for detailed information on titles translated for this institution)
Feb. to June 2001
Becerril, Coca & Becerril, S.C.
Patents, Trademarks, Copyright, Technology Licensing, Plant varieties
Sept. 200 to Feb. 2001
Centro de Asesoría y Superación Personal, A.C.
(Guided independent study to accredit college prep courses)
Senior high school instructor for Introduction to Music and 6 levels of English courses
Oxford University Press, S.A. de C.V.
(See experience as translator)
Feb. 1999 to Jan 2000
UNITED NATIONS FUND FOR POPULATION (UNFPA)
Country Support Team for Latin America and the Caribbean
Senior Information Officer (1)
My duties were:
· Production, publication, and diffusion of CST materials, namely population bulletin (Boletín Informativo no. 7 & 8, entirely under my care);
· drafting of press resports, news releases, articles);
· drafting of speeches, professional and curricular profiles of CST members;
· editing of documents, translation;
· participation in supervising and coordinating the logistics of press conferences;
· recording and transcribing for seminars;
· direct dealings with reporters, journalists, social communicators, and public information officers; likewise with suppliers such as designers and printers;
· supplying information on publications and relevant events for UN Web site and all other public information concerns;
· collection of notes, articles or any sort of information in newspapers regarding population themes or events, to distribute among the CST members.
(1) Post was frozen on account of budgetary constraints.
Ag. 1996 to Jan. 1998
GRUPO EDITORIAL VÍA SATÉLITE, S.A. de C.V.
Progreso 42, Col. Escandón, México City
Editora de la revista Órbita
(Listings editor for a satellitetv monthly magazine) (2)
· Planning and coordination of publication process of a 360 page monthly magazine (just like its counterpart Orbit US magazines;
· deciding upon form and content of 36 editorial, technical, and promotional pages;
· editing mss. from external authors;
· interviews to artists, musicians, cinema celebrities;
· writing of reviews, sinopses, articles on programmed movies as well as programs on history, science, sports, etc.
· translating editorial notes from US channels such as Cinemax, HBO, Discovery, Disney, History Channel, Learning Channel, Arts & Entertainment;
· free distribution to tv, film, and music production houses;
· attendance to film premieres, video and CD presentations in press conferences;
· interviewing artists, movie and tv specialists, other personalities and celebrities;
· writing and editing of special assignments for general director.
(2) Magazine stopped circulating after 11 years of successfull high volume sales, on account of other direct-to home systems like Sky and Directv, which produce their own program guides (Directv in Spanish is published by this same company). I followed the production 18 of issues in total.
March, 1994 to May, 1996
FONDO NACIONAL PARA LA CULTURA Y LAS ARTES (FONCA)
Programa de Apoyo a Proyectos y Coinversiones Culturales
Representante legal y editora (3)
(Legal representative, publisher and editor for publication project of 7 volume poetry collection by Mexican authors) (fellow)
Personal duties were:
· Legal representation of the editorial project once approved;
· co-design of the project;
· fund's resource management;
· production design;
· verbal and written agreements with authors, illustrating artists, typesetting personnel, printers, distributors;
· editing of m/s;
· preparation of t/s for production;
· text proofs correction;
· page proofs revision;
· printing process supervision;
· planning, coordination, and participation in book presentation events and public affairs;
· quarterly and final activity reports and financial statement;
· newsletters for advertising project and its publications before, during, and after public readings, news briefings, press conferences, and media coverage in presentations;
· free distribution such as desk copies for publishers, media, cultural authorities, critics, writers, journalists, academic literarature departments in universities, cultural attachés, public libraries;
· public relations (entailing all of the above, plus and mainly promotion, diffusion, obtention of additional support from all those who could contribute to the success and continuity of the program;
· distribution of produced material (7,000 copies);
· registration of titles before copyright authorities.
(3) Finished when project was over. Performed with the help of my husband.
OTHER UNITED NATIONS SPECIALIZED AGENCIES (Earlier positions):
Other relevant positions were 8 months at Pan American Health Organization WHO/PAHO), Mexico, as Editorial assistant (galley proof-reader) at the Publications Department in 1984. Likewise, at Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC) as Acting Editorial Services Supervisor in 1985. Worked under temporary contracts.
Also, Copyreader for the public national library network in Mexico, in 1985 (Dirección General de Bibliotecas, SEP, six months before getting married).
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AS TRANSLATOR
Sworn Translator, accredited by H. Tribunal Superior de Justicia del Distrito Federal (Superior Court of Justice) (English)
1981 to date
Freelance translator, copywriter, copyreader, proofreader of technical and scientific publications for editorial houses, publishing departments within public, private, and academic institutions, international organizations, such as:
Seguros América Banamex, S.A. (one year and a half as in-house translator, 1983-1984; 1986)
Coordinator of the translation pool (4-5 junior translators)
Unam/Dirección General de Publicaciones y Fomento Editorial/ Instituto de Investigaciones Antropológicas/Instituto de Geología/Instituto de Investigaciones Filosóficas
Centro de Investigación y Estudios Superiores en Antropología Social (CIESAS/INAH)
Pan American Health Organization
Publishing companies: (See next page for complete information)
Oxford University Press
Fondo de Cultura Económica
Grupo Editorial Iberoamérica
Private practice with clients such as:
Public Health officers
Graduate students (Lately I edited thesis on Education Programs of the General Consulate in Los Angeles, CA for Mexican immigrants and Mexican-American residents in USA
(most sustained and gainful experience since 1984)
Spanish versions of:
Poetry by 10 US contemporary poets, anthological work soon to be published by National University:
I Watched a Snake by Jorie Graham, Life of a Salesman and Thirty-six Weeks by Emily Grosholz, Aubade and Kettle by Mckeel McBride, Praying Drunk and Beatitudes by Andrew Hudgins, The Latin Deli: An Ars Poetica and The Lesson of the Teeth by Judith Ortiz Cofer, Daystar and American Smooth by Rita Dove, After Disappointment and Ground Swell by Mark Jarman, The Traveling Onion and Famous by Naomi Shihab Nye, Madre Sofía and The Purpose of Altar Boys by Alberto Rios, and Bill’s Story and No by Mark Doty.
On Turning Eighty by Henry Miller, Vol. 20 of collection Pequeños Grandes Ensayos, published by Dirección General de Publicaciones y Fomento Editorial, UNAM.
Oxford Comparative History of Latin American Literary Cultures (as part of team of translators; in charge part of volume 2: Institutional Modes and Cultural Modalities). To be published in 2005 by both, Oxford University Press and Fondo de Cultura Económica. (In press).
Flawed Advice and The Management Trap, Oxford University Press, NY. Published by OUP/México in as La asesoría deficiente y la trampa en que caen los administradores. Cómo pueden saber los directivos cuándo reciben buenos consejos y cuándo no. (Published in June, 2001).
La nuit du vampire by Denis Coté, Les éditions la courte échelle, inc. Col. Roman Jeunesse, 1ére. ed., Montreal, 1990. Published in Mexico by Fernández Editores as La noche del vampiro as part of a children’s collection called Macabro (1996).
Happiness is an Inside Job by John Powell, S. J., Tabor Publishing, Allen, Texas, 1989. Published in Mexico as La felicidad es una tarea interior, 219 pp. by Editorial Diana, S.A. Sold out in its many reprints.
Revision of Spanish version of The Opposite Sex is Driving me Crazy and of Light my Fire, also by Editorial Diana, S.A.
The Yaqui Nation of Northwestern New Spain (1533 to 1820) by E. Hu-DeHart, U. of Colorado at Boulder. Chapter of Historia indígena de México (Instituto Nacional Indigenista and Centro de Investigación y Estudios en Antropología Social, CIESAS).
The Waiter and Waitress Training Manual by Dahmer and Kahl, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1988. Published in Mexico as Manual de capacitación para meseras y meseros, 165 pp. by Grupo Editorial Iberoamérica, S.A. de C.V. (1991).
Child Abuse. The Educational Perspective by P. Maher, Basil Blackwell, Oxford, 1988. Published as El abuso contra los niños. La perspectiva de los educadores, col. Los Noventa, coed. by Consejo Nacional para la Cultura y las Artes and Editorial Grijalbo, S.A. 379 pp. Circulated broadly and sold out.
Competitive Manufacturing by H. Mather, Prentice-Hall, Inc., 1988. Published in Mexico as Manufactura competitiva by Grupo Editorial Iberoamérica, S.A. de C.V.
No Free Luch. Food and Revolution in Cuba Today, by M. Benjamin through Institute for Food and Development Policy, San Francisco, 1984 (I ignore if it was published in Spanish or not).
Investigating Animal Abundance. Capture and Recapture for Biologists, by M. Begon, Edward Arnold Publishers, London, 1989. Published in Mexico as Ecología animal. Modelo de cuantificación de poblaciones, by Editorial Trillas, S.A. de C.V., 134 pp.
El auge y la caída del Clásico en el México central, 287 pp. (collection of academic papers on Mesoamerican archaeology, compiled by Mountjoy and Brockington, U. of North Carolina). Published in Mexico by Instituto de Investigaciones Antropológicas, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
Principles and Practices of Rice Production, by S.K. De Datta, John Wiley & Sons, 1981. Published in Mexico as Producción de arroz: fundamentos y prácticas, 690 pp. (mine were six chapters, 225 pp.) by Editorial Limusa, S.A.
Available copies of most of these titles
Jorie Graham, Emily Grozholz, Mckeel McBride, Andrew Hudgins, Judith Ortiz Cofer, Rita Dove, Jark Jarman, Naomi Shihab Nye, Alberto Rios, and Mark Doty; soon to be published by National University general publications department.
Early positions helf from 1970 to 1981 include, briefly:
1980-82 El Colegio de México (Major learning and research institution in the social sciences).
Centro de Estudios Lingüísticos y Literarios (CELL)
Assistant to the Director
1979-80 Oxford University Press
Assitant to the Representative
1978-79 Centro Educativo Coneet (grammar school)
1976-77 Centro de Regularización (remedial classes in small tutoring school)
French teacher for señor high school students
1976-77 Departamento de Turismo del Estado de Yucatán, Mérida
1974-75 University of the Americas (multicultural college)
1972-73 Travenol, S.A. de C.V. (chemical and pharmaceutical laboratories with main offices in Chicago, Illinois).